When is plugging your book too ‘used car salesman’ like? This is a tough question that most of us authors deal with on a regular basis. Most of us have read articles that say things like, “Don’t just say ‘my book’ always say the title and say it as often as you can” “Advertize on every site you can think of” “Mention your book everywhere” “Bring it up in every conversation that you possibly can” “Be seen reading it… everywhere” “Brag” “Boost” “Show people a copy” “Never go out without a copy” “Always type, write, use your full name whenever and wherever possible” and many more things similar to all of these. I try to leave my name and a nice link to my blog or website’s and on people’s blog because most sites offer a link back if wanted. I figure since the feature is subtle and they’re for all of us to use… why not? But I’m not very good at always bringing up the title. And I don’t feel comfortable parading up and down the mall with a flag with a picture of my book taped to my back, while my book is in one hand and I’m yelling from a bullhorn in the other, all the while demanding that people read it. That would get attention, but it’s just not me. As a matter of fact, I just told some of my friends and the other good friends don’t know yet. Why? Because I don’t feel comfortable rubbing what I’ve done in other peoples faces. And I’m writing this blog because I feel like I just used a famous person’s thread to shamelessly plug my book… but now I feel shame. I feel guilty, even though it was slightly relevant, I still feel like I shouldn’t have even commented on their Facebook thread. So when, where, how, and who do authors use to drop their name in the bucket with all the other authors out there? I wish I had an answer we could all use. I know that I don’t want to lose my tact, grace, and dignity plugging my book and I feel like there should be a nice way to properly advertise to others without feeling dirty.
Things I can do that don’t make me feel gross…
1. I leave comments or blogs with a link back to here
2. Talk about fellow authors work (I like this one, some books out there should get read)
3. Post on my own site and blog
4. Read my book in waiting rooms (why not, I read other peoples)
5. Have the title engraved on my license plate frame (I’d rather that than any other add)
6. Advertising in magazines and announcing in the local paper
7. Reviewing other’s books (I haven’t done this one yet)
8. Make a hoodie (or t-shirt) on Café Press or Zazzle with the title of my book on it (did that last night)
9. Donate a copy to the library, or multiple copies to multiple libraries
Who, what, when, where, and how do you feel comfortable plugging you book? Also, please feel free to leave any and all shameless plugs in the comments to this post.
I’m an author, Jim, not a used car salesman! < — Shameless reference to Star Trek
FYI ~ The Strongest Fire: Book One of The Vampiress Sagas is still being sold for a very reasonable price on B&N and Amazon.
Barnes & Noble Link